A young businessman’s £125,000 gold Lamborghini exploded just an hour after picking it up from the garage. Lak Sira, 22, said he was nearly killed after his “pride and joy” went up in smoke as he drove along the M6 with his girlfriend.
The entrepreneur had been on his way to London when he smelt petrol and was forced to pull over on the hard shoulder near Birmingham.
Shocking pictures show the flaming wreckage as well as the blackened remains of the gutted vehicle after fire crews had extinguished the blaze last Friday.
The self-made businessman said he had paid £10,000 for a service and picked it up from Lamborghini Birmingham when it burst into flames just an hour later.
Lak, who earns £200,000 a year running an online trading company, has blamed the garage’s negligence and said he is looking at taking legal action against the dealership.
He said: “We had only gone one junction when my girlfriend smelt petrol in the car, so I called the garage’s mechanic. “He said ‘the car has just been for a service and it is usual to smell a bit of fuel’, so there wasn’t a problem.
“So we carried on a bit further and my girlfriend asked me to open the windows, because the smell of fuel had got that strong.
“I stopped on the hard shoulder to remove the roof but then the next thing was we heard a loud bang, it was like a firework going off, and the back of my car caught fire. “I just had to watch helplessly as the car which I had worked so hard to buy went up in smoke.
“We nearly died, if I didn’t pull over when I did I dread to think what happened. It was very frightening and my girlfriend is scared to get in any car with me now.
“I am meeting with my solicitor to see whether to take legal action as I can’t believe it’s a coincidence that I’d only just had the car back from the garage.
Lak, from Birmingham, added: “I’m absolutely devastated. I only had the car for a year and a half and I loved it. “I paid £12,000 to get it gold plated and £10,000 on the service – and then this happens.